BCC Staff Note: As part of our Biblical Counseling Coalition vision to multiply the ministry of the biblical counseling movement, we enjoy posts like today’s where we can use our BCC “megaphone” to make you aware of biblical counseling ministries. Today we’ve asked Ellen Castillo, Executive Director of Word of Hope Ministries, to introduce you to their ministry.
Who We Are
Word of Hope Ministries is a biblical counseling and training ministry in Santa Maria, California. We also provide ministry globally online. It is our desire to serve you with gospel-centered ministry.
We believe that the Bible has all that we need to help people with life’s struggles. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16).
What We Believe and Offer
As a para-church organization, Word of Hope Ministries assists people who are facing life’s struggles. This is accomplished by:
- Using Christian principles to counsel individuals and families in need.
- Training others to competently counsel and mentor in their local churches.
Biblical counseling is committed to the position that Scripture provides the only authoritative guide for what we are to believe and how we are to live (2 Timothy 3:16, 17). The biblical counselor is trained in the use of Scripture and the principles of biblical counseling. The counsel is not based on man’s wisdom, opinions, experience, or concepts of behavior (Isaiah 55:8-11), but seeks to bring the full range of biblical truth to focus on the counselee’s need (Hebrews 4:12).
Biblical counseling deals with the entire range of problems confronting mankind including but not limited to: broken marriages, parent-child relationships, fear, depression, alcohol and substance abuse, stress, anxiety, worry, and any other problems that may result in mental and/or physical immobility. In short, the biblical counselor is equipped to deal with any problem dealing with ourselves, our relationship to God, or our fellow man (2 Peter 1:3).
We offer two types of training.
1. Biblical Counseling Training for Men and Women
This training is held locally on the Central Coast of California only. Ellen Castillo, a Certified Biblical Counselor, leads students through a video-based curriculum that requires a one year commitment. Completing the one-year course qualifies men and women to pursue certification through one of our preferred certifying organizations where there will be additional requirements. The training year begins in October.
For more detailed information about our Biblical Counseling Training, visit Word of Hope Ministries.
Our biblical counseling training is for:
- Men and women who have a heart to do deep discipleship with those in their sphere of influence.
- Men and women who are interested in the ministry of biblical counseling.
- Pastors who want to grow in their ability to counsel (pastors who hold ministry degrees will be able to “audit”: no homework required other than some additional reading.
- Lay leaders who want to gain expertise about how to help others.
- Those who are potentially gifted for counseling (a reference from a pastor or leader will be required) and who wish to explore their giftedness further.
- Those who may wish to obtain a certification as a Biblical Counselor from one of our preferred certifying organizations.
2. Biblical Mentor Training for Women
We use a 13-week course that we’ve developed that prepares women to become “Biblical Mentors” in their sphere of influence. This course is taught as requested by local churches throughout the year. There is also an online version available to individuals and groups that are not local to us. For more information about our Mentor Training for women, visit Biblical Mentor.